The Moravian-Silesian Research Library in Ostrava, contributory organization (library with collections containing more than 1.000.000 physical volumes) belongs to important
cultural and educational institutions of the Moravian-Silesian Region.
The library (established in 1951) acts as a regional library at present. It supports lifelong education and satisfies cultural needs of inhabitants and visitors of the Moravian-Silesian region. It
provides information sources to support research, development and economical activities and contributes to the development of more than 400 libraries of the region.
To fulfill its function, the Moravian-Silesian Research Library in Ostrava serves as:
- the guarantor for permanent preserving, bibliographic processing and making available documents published in the Moravian-Silesian Region
- the Moravian-Silesian centre for acquiring, processing, preserving and making available Czech special literature and fiction, all Czech periodicals, Czech standards and
patents, company journals, foreign special literature and other types of documents
- the place of access to Czech and foreign remote electronic information sources such as bibliographic and factographic databases and full-text documents
- the regional centre of inter-library services
- the guarantor for regional functions of libraries in the region
- the organiser of educational courses and training for librarians and employees of information centers as well as for users and visitors of the library
- the partner library of Goethe-Institut in Prague